My mind has been bothering me a lot lately, and I've been trying to erase it or dull it for weeks. I know that marijuana and shoegaze is a good way to lose long spans of time, so I contacted my contact about having sleepwalk-champions True Widow create me a top five to numb my mind. I was thinking I'd get some endlessly building, Spaceman Five-type drone jawns. I got something else entirely. I have never even heard of any of these bands besides the Blues Explosion. Here are Top 5 Go-To Bands, as presented by D.H. Phillips, guitarist and vocalist of True Widow:
Sometimes I hate music. But I want to listen to it anyway. Nothing on the shelf or on my ipod looks good. But there are a few records that will never get old and always satisfy. In no particular order:
5. Stereolab - Peng, Refried Ectoplasm, Switched On I love Stereolab so much. Something about the beat, the drone, the melodies, the production, and just about everything on these records is perfect. There might be one song that I skip across these three albums, but that’s it. Perfect for long drives or work. Whenever. Always good.
4. The Oh Sees - 3 + 4 Simple. Acoustic mostly. Low budget recordings. Home style. Cool guitar playing. These two records get played back to back and often get played again right away. I really like most of what these guys do, but these records stand out.
3. Blues Explosion - Now I Got Worry If you want to tear the place apart and fucking party, put this on. I do.
2. Electrelane - all albums Rock It To The Moon especially. This is probably one of my most-played/least-sick-of records of all time. Again, great on long drives or at the shop.
1. Broadcast - Tender Buttons, Haha Sound I am still mourning the loss of the singer of this band. Every time I would go into the record shop I would ask if they knew about a new Broadcast. Then I heard about the singer getting sick and dying. Major bum out. Broadcast have so many cool songs I don’t even know what to say about them.
I don’t know why I am so crazy about all of these bands fronted by ladies but I am. It sounds good to me and I do not see why I should analyze it beyond that. They have much to do with why True Widow exists. It was hard to pick five out of the lot but there they are.